Grup de Suport al Colectivo de Mujeres de Matagalpa is a Catalan NGO, established as an association in 2004 by a group of people with experience in the cooperation field; we decided a stable and supportive compromise with the “Colectivo de Mujeres de Matagalpa (CMM)”. Our purpose is to help it in its work dedicated to improve living conditions and development of women and children in Nicaragua, as unprotected and vulnerable sectors of society.
We are registered as organization in the following local governments: Barcelona, Cardedeu, Mataró, Sant Boi and Santa Coloma de Gramenet.
The “Grup de Suport” history begins on 13th March 2004’, when a group of people who knew about the social needs of Nicaragua and already collaborated with CMM by rebuilding homes after Hurricane Mitch in late October 1998, met to decide the constitution of an association called “Grup de Suport al Colectivo de Mujeres de Matagalpa” (Matagalpa’s Women Collective support group). They had the following purposes:
- Carry out international cooperation for development.
- Working for a fair and equitable society.
- Promote ecologically sustainable development.
- Manage training projects and social awareness.
- Contribute to dignify and improve the living conditions of impoverished countries, with a special sensitivity for Latin America.
- Establish and strengthen bonds of friendship, cooperation and exchanges between people, communities and organizations in different countries, promoting exchanges of experiences.
- Contribute to build a more caring and fair society.
- Encourage social improvements achieved.
- Apply critically and with respect human rights postulates on “Universal Declaration of Human Rights”, with emphasis on issues relating to women and children.
Develop proposals for the implementation and improvement of practices that promote the rights of freedom, justice, respect and fairness.